I just build a system for my mother in law based on products from NewEgg. I
went with an AMD Semperon 64 processor and installed the 64 bit version of
Fedora Core 4. I bought an MSI barebones system (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101238) that accepts
DDR400 RAM. I spent $130 on the case, mobo, and processor.