On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 02:34:57PM -0600, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> On 11/23/05, Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm building a new squid proxy server.  I'd like to put the proxy
> > cache on its own partition.  Is ther a file system that would be
> > better optimized for proxy cache?

> Probably the best way to make your decision is to do lots of reading
> on the subject.  Try googling for "best filesystem squid small files".
>
> It sounds like reiser is best for lots of small files but I have no
> experience with it.  Personally ext2/ext3 has performed well for every
> purpose I've used Linux for (mail, DNS, web, squid, cvs, workstation,
> music streaming, etc.).  I've had no reason or desire to try other
> filesystems.

I've lots of people say the reiser is really good for squid caches.

I also just had a thought.  A proxy cache is just a cache for temporary
files.  They help speed up web access, but they really aren't all that
important.  So if the file system corrupts itself, you can really
just mkfs the partition and start over.  So the main benefit of a
journaled file system, quick recovery, is negated.  So unless there is a
performance difference, why not stick with ext2 for the proxy cache file
system?

Does this make sense to anyone that admins a squid proxy?  I have no
experience in this area.

Nate