On 11/23/05, Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm building a new squid proxy server.  I'd like to put the proxy
> cache on its own partition.  Is ther a file system that would be
> better optimized for proxy cache?   I'm not a fan of Ext2/3, but I'm
> not familiar enough with Reiser, JFS, XFS, etc to know which is best
> for handling a large amount of small files.

Probably the best way to make your decision is to do lots of reading
on the subject.  Try googling for "best filesystem squid small files".

It sounds like reiser is best for lots of small files but I have no
experience with it.  Personally ext2/ext3 has performed well for every
purpose I've used Linux for (mail, DNS, web, squid, cvs, workstation,
music streaming, etc.).  I've had no reason or desire to try other
filesystems.

scot