Isaac Atilano wrote:

>Did the sound come from the pc speaker?
>If not, do you have it enabled in your kernel?
>In my 2.6 kernel, I have the pc speaker driver compiled as a module.
>The option is CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=m
>I had to make sure to set this when I upgraded from the 2.4 to the 2.6
>kernel.

Bingo!  I thank you kindly Isaac.  The solution was simply to enable my
PC speaker in the kernel:

Input device support --->
[ ] Misc
< >   PC Speaker support (NEW)

My speaker problem also occurred with the 2.6 kernel.  Sound in Mandrake
was suddenly non-existent.  I never occurred to me that the speaker
would be an option, and miscellaneous at that.