On Tue, November 15, 2005 11:24 am, Mike Miller wrote:
<snipped hardware discussion>
> The next issue is software.  I would love for them to run Linux or a dual
> boot system.  Everything has to be in Spanish.  Do all Linux OSs allow for
> Spanish language installations?  Same for Windows XP?
>
> If I could set them up with Linux only, they might not be happy.  Any
> views on this?  I think some of them would be fine -- email, web, word
> processing -- but the users who want to get into downloading photos from a
> digital camera or doing video editing might have some trouble.  What do
> you think?

I agree with the others on the hardware issue. Check for local vendors.
All of the major systems makers will have a South or Latin America
division.

For Linux you may want to look at Mandriva. Since Connectiva was/is based
in Brazil they were focused on the South American market. I don't know if
that carries over to the new Mandriva distro but I would suspect yes.
Otherwise all the software that you would install on a Linux system should
be localized sufficiantly. If you won't have Internet access you may want
to grab the localization files for OpenOffice.org ahead of time and take
them with you as they aren't always included.

Good Luck!

--
Jack Ungerleider
The Ungerleider Group