On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Adam wrote:
> So I'm looking at switching ISPs for my DSL line. That of course means
> I'll be having to change IPs.
>
> I run my own web/email/dns server off of this connection. Its the
> primary DNS server for a few domains I have. I'm wondering what the best
> way of transitioning from one network to the other would be.

You could sign up for one of the free secondary DNS services (ie,
http://puck.nether.net/dns/), which will remain up while you cut your line
over.. once your secondary line is up, update the IP that the secondary
DNS server slaves from, and anyone doing DNS queries will time out on your
primary server (until the registrar change goes in), and will query the
secondary server, which should now have correct information.

Just make sure to drop your TTL's a few days in advance, so people won't
have your old IP's cached.