I'm attempting to restore a server from a tar backup of filesystems, but
have encountered an error on system bootup post restore.

Backup information-
Have the following information in flat files:
sfdisk output
df -k
vgdisplay -v vg00
The following filesytems were tarred to a remote server:
/
/usr
/var
/opt

Disk partions are as follows:
/dev/hda1 - Linux
/dev/hda2 - Swap
/dev/hda3 - Linux
/dev/hda4 - Linux LVM

Restore procedure:
-Boot from RHELv3 cd#1
-type in "linux rescue" at prompt
-enable networking
-Do not search for old filesystems
-Repartition drive
# sfdisk /dev/hda < hda.out
-Run a vgscan
# vgscan
-Create physical volume
# pvcreate /dev/hda4
-Create volume group
# vgcreate -s 4 /dev/vg00 /dev/hda4
-Create Logical Volumes
# lvcreate -l <PE count> -n <lvname> vg00
-Format partitions and logical volumes
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda3
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/vg00/<lvname>
-Create top level restore directory
# mkdir /restore
-Mount root partition
# mount /dev/hda3 -t ext3 /restore
-Change directories
# cd /restore
-Restore the data from remote server
# ssh -n -l <username> <serverIP> -C "/bin/cat /backupdir/root.tgz" | tar
zxpvf -
-Mount remaining filesystems to be restored
# mount /dev/hda1 -t ext3 /restore/boot
# mount /dev/vg00/<lvname> -t ext3 /restore/<fsname>
-Restore the remaining data
# ssh -n -l <username> <serverIP> -C "/bin/cat /backupdir/<name>.tgz" | tar
zxpvf -
-Enter a chroot jail
# chroot /restore
-Install grub
# grub-install /dev/hda
# exit
-Reboot the system

On reboot, GRUB loads and shows the correct kernel. After the timeout
period, it begins to load until it tries to mount the root filesystem. Below
is the last few lines of the boot process before it errors out:
---------------------------------------
Creating block devices
Creating root device
mkrootdev: label / not found
Mounting root filesystem
Mount: error 2 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed 2
umount /initrd/proc failed:2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 164k freed
kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit. Ne Obliviscaris..