thank you all for your lively responses, helped me pull back the wool
far enough for a quick glimpse of life further up the barrel.  when you
spend all your time on the shoestring you can forget that to other folk
metal actually means something more than old scraps held together with
bailing wire.

truly NP has been gifted literally with loads of old scraps.  but see, i
actually spent some $ for a 'whitebox' server earlier this year, and
ironically the onus is still on me to do the part swap dance with it in
order to determine exactly why it is that it can't add reliably either.
  and since i'm chronically short on time, it sits idle, even under
warranty, while old scraps are being the workhorses.

enter the classic catalyst in this formula, the fast approaching eoy
with money remaining in the budget.  and yes folks, sorry to mislead or
disappoint, but your old castoff workstation, or a used almost anything,
would be a shining server to me.  but is there any point in looking at
used metal if you can be happy with two nice new boxes for less than 4
digits?  and at that price point i'm presuming that contracts are silly,
and therefore since nobody will be coming to visit, i should be dealing
with local vendors, say general nano, where i can easily drop by.  even
with this formula tho, perhaps i should hearken to incantations of dell
or HPaq, to save myself some partswapping?

hey sorry, this old geezer just doesn't have experience shopping, been
spending all my time calling forth spirit from the dust.  and i freely
admit, budgetting, money or time, has never been my forte.  don't worry
to shoot holes in my thinking, they're already there, a little mentoring
here would be way welcome.

eg i thinks to myself, why bother with raid, when a phone line problem
or a fire can still knock you right out.  what i look forward to, when i
get the time (giggle), is a failover server in another city, even
another continent.  we do have offices in brussels and delhi afterall.

btw my most reliable stress test so far:  check the md5sum on several
ISOs.  my bad machines miscompute on 1 out of about 5 or 6 ISOs.  must
really give the memory and disc and dma all a good simultaneous whirl.