On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Sean Waite wrote:
> Depends on what line of Sun servers you priced out. One thing to keep in
> mind, the lowest entry level Sun server will be of a lot higher quality
> than any mainstream Dell server just due to the fact that companies like
> Sun, Compaq, and IBM spend a lot more resources and time doing product
> testing and evaluation than Dell does.

After recent experience with the Sun v20z's, I'd disagree - the quality
isn't there.

>From what one of my co-workers who's been working with Sun on the boxes
said, Sun actually bought the line from another vendor, and has been
trying to make them into usable servers - the IMPI management interface
has issues, the RAID controllers are cruddy (compared to the Dell ones, at
least), the hardware quality is sub-par, etc. The new line of high-end
Opteron servers is supposed to be better, though.