No I think the problem I am having is related to nis. Kde doesnt seem to want to load if the user has never logged into the box before authenticating using nis.

>>> Harv Nelson <harv.nelson at gmail.com> 11/8/2005 10:04:33 AM >>>
Hi Joe,

If you are asking how to get kdm going as a login manager, this is what I
did on my Debian "Etch"

dpkg-reconfigure kdm

This will set kdm as the login/display manager ... rather than gdm or xdm.

In KDE, if you want to allow root logins from the kdm login screen you must
edit the following:

 /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc

[General]
ConfigVersion=2.2
PidFile=/var/run/kdm.pid
ServerVTs=-7
Xservers=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers

[Shutdown]
HaltCmd=/sbin/halt
RebootCmd=/sbin/reboot
UseLilo=false

[X-*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowRootLogin=true
AllowShutdown=Root
AutoReLogin=false
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors-%s
Reset=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xreset
Session=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession
SessionsDirs=/etc/X11/sessions,/usr/share/xsessions
Setup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup

HTH

Harv,
Washburn, WI

On 11/8/05, Joe Stuart <jstuart at edenpr.k12.mn.us> wrote:
> I am running suse 10 with kde for my desktop and using nis for
authentication. The problem I'm having is when I login through kdm I get the
error could not start kstartupconfig check your installation. The strange
thing is that if I login as root then su - user it authenticates me just
fine pulls my home directory from the nis server and all is good. The other
thing is that if I choose windowmaker or anything but kde I can login fine
then after that successfull login I can use kde as my desktop. After
searcing the internet the kstartupconfig error seems to mostly come up from
problems with the users home directory, but I dont really understand why
this works on the commandline and why kde works after one successfull login
using another windowmanager. Hope that makes some sense.