I am running suse 10 with kde for my desktop and using nis for authentication. The problem I'm having is when I login through kdm I get the error could not start kstartupconfig check your installation. The strange thing is that if I login as root then su - user it authenticates me just fine pulls my home directory from the nis server and all is good.  The other thing is that if I choose windowmaker or anything but kde I can login fine then after that successfull login I can use kde as my desktop.  After searcing the internet the kstartupconfig error seems to mostly come up from problems with the users home directory, but I dont really understand why this works on the commandline and why kde works after one successfull login using another windowmanager.  Hope that makes some sense.

Joe