by way of a small aside.  some usb to serial adapters don't support
sending a hardware break.  i've used the keyspan[1] adapters with
considerable happiness and the assurance that they appropriately
support a h/w break.

i travel a lot for work and constantly evaluate the stuff that i
schlep around in my bag. the keyspan is a little bit bigger than a
lot of the other ones that you'll run across out there but it's rock
solid.  well worth the tradeoff in weight you might make to lug it
around. :)

On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:09 AM, Harv Nelson wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> Has anyone used a USB to DB9 serial converter?  This model or similar
>
> http://www.usbgear.com/23210129.html
>
> Is there any other (cheaper!) you'd care to recommend. Are any
> special drivers or modules required?  Is "Hotplug" sufficient?

references
[1] http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC