While the "batch code" (stepping) is very important, the serial number
is not as important.

The stepping tells you the microcode version burnt on to the chip. If
you get a mismatched
set of processors they may work but I wouldn't bet the bank on how
reliable they would be.

The serial number is a tracking number and may tell you where and when
the chip was made.

Just because the serial number is within a few digits it doesn't mean
the stepping is the same.

Use the stepping to measure the compatibility.

Sam.