On Thu, 26 May 2005, Florin Iucha wrote:
> If I want to connect three computers to an array, do I need a switch?
> Does an array have a single port? (+ see below)

Again, this is from my limited experience.

All of the arrays I've worked with have two ports, which both connect you
to the same loop. However, I know there are arrays with more ports, and
arrays with only single ports.

> I remember something about an "Arbitrated Loop" where the computers and
> storage sit in a circle and pass a pipe ;) Can I do that with copper, or
> do I need something optical?

Quick google search:

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/fcp.html

Doesn't explain it all that well, but as I understand it, the switch or
hub is what allows your computer to connect to the loop of drives.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong! :)