> Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:11:57 -0500
> From: Dan Rue <drue at therub.org>

> Anyone have good product suggestions or advise for such a configuration?

Dan,

I worked at Digi x number of years ago. They make multi-port serial
solutions that scale very well. So well that IBM private labels (-ed?)
them and sold them with their big iron servers. That means IBM testing
labs ran them through the wringer.

They work like a dream-- MUCH better under heavy loads than other
solutions. They are a local company. The hardware runs on gobs of OSes.
And sometimes, you can get the hardware pretty cheap used.

The city of Minneapolis 911 system uses them, so when you call in, the
operator's keystrokes all go through Digi equipment. I worked in their
call center and the Digi devices just never fail. They run on MP-RAS
(NCR's Unix).