On 5/25/05, Dan Rue <drue at therub.org> wrote:
> I'm moving half a dozen servers to a new colo.. the old colo had KVMs
> set up, but the new place doesn't.  Since all of our servers are *nix, i
> figured i should be able to set up serial access to them all for much
> cheaper and more featureful (remote access!) than KVMs.
>
> Anyone have good product suggestions or advise for such a configuration?
> I've never set up serial access before, and don't really know where to
> start..

I've worked with Cyclades[1] TS series console servers.  The devices
are usually 1U rack mountable with a bunch of RJ45 ports (8, 16, 24,
32 port models, possibly others).  Use straight ethernet cables to  a
RJ45-to-DB9 or DB25 serial connector.  The TS series allowed you to
telnet or ssh to the Cyclades device and then you can connect to a
specific console port via telnetting/sshing to localhost:port.  It
worked pretty well but they can be spendy.

I've also worked with an older multi-port serial card (also Cyclades).
 Those tend to be a nightmare as you add more devices, you end up with
an octopus of cabling.  I'll dig up my pictures of how NOT to set this
up...

If you only have a few devices, you might look at a USB-to-Serial type
of device if your hardware will support it.

If you have the luxury to "try before you buy", do so.  Some of these
devices can be goofy and for serial access, you definitely want
something reliable.

As far as the OS side of things, it depends on what flavor of *nix
you're dealing with.  Solaris supports serial console by default if
you don't have a keyboard plugged in (use serial port A).  Linux and
FreeBSD can be quite easily configured for serial access.  There is a
Serial HOWTO for Linux and the FreeBSD handbook is indespensible.

Let us know what you end up using.

[1] http://www.cyclades.com/