On Wed, 25 May 2005, Richard Hoffbeck wrote:

> At the risk of dating myself I still have a tan case Osborne 1 in my
> hallway closet. The good old days of holding a bunch of 180K floppies in
> your teeth for each pass of the compiler, plus the linker, made hacking
> more of a sport than it is today :-)

My first computer was a TRS-80 "CoCo" II.  It was made the same year I
was.  I got some books and taught myself BASIC, and later Z-80 assembler
on it.  I remember in 5th grade, I programmed it to calculate pi (squaring
the circle method).  I let it run for 4 days straight, and I don't
remember how far it got, but I know it wasn't very far.

I used it for years until we got an XT.  It sat in my closet for a long
time while I progressed through the x86 generations.  About 7 years ago I
powered it up and it ran fine - I loaded a couple of disks and they seemed
to read okay.  But when I moved a year later, I took it with and it
apparently didn't survive the move.  Appears to be a PS problem, but I've
never had time to work on it.  I'd love to revive it someday.