Just a follow-up to let everyone know the outcome to this problem.

Two bad sticks of RAM!  System would boot, do its own check, report 2GB, and
then continue on startup ... why RH8 installed I have no idea. I booted with
Knoppix and ran memtest ... within a few seconds errors started jumping out
at me ... some fun ehhh?

So ... all I have to say is *&$( @#(*) *#&@#)! ... more than a time or two
.. grrrr.

Fedora Core 3 is on the system ... it is running fine ... all updates have
been downloaded and installed.  Hell of a deal isn't it? :-)

Randy