I could not get ANYTHING installed ( or even get the Gentoo LiveCD booted!!)
on this OLD 300Mhz system they gave me at work. So I booted it with a
knoppix CD in text mode and then started the Gentoo install fromt there.
Worked like a charm and it has been running for over 100 days with no
problems.

So I guess to see if the hardware is really bad I would try a Knoppix cd? I
*believe* they are better at covering hardware.