On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:15:22AM -0500, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> I'm trying to use the following command to create an archive of all
> the SPAM folders I have on my email system:
>
> find /usr/local/sites/ -iname '.SPAM*' | xargs tar cjvf
> spam_20050517.tar.bz2
>
> There are IMAP folders called SPAM, Not Spam, etc.  The command works
> ok until it encounters something like "Not Spam" then the space trips
> the command up.
>
> tar: /usr/local/sites/www.davidtrutwin.com/users/dlt/.spam.Not: Cannot
> stat: No such file or directory
> tar: Spam: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
>
> It's trying to archive the maildir:
>
> /usr/local/sites/www.davidtrutwin.com/users/dlt/.spam.Not Caught
>
> But the space in the filename is causing problems.

Try:

find /usr/local/sites/ -iname '.SPAM*'  -exec tar cjvf {} spam_20050517.tar.bz2 \;

I think that you should be able to avoid using xargs.  If that
doesn't work, try looking at the manual page for xargs - I don't
know xargs very well, but I would think that tere would be an
option that would work.