<quote who="Dan Rue">
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:35:40PM -0500, josh at joshwelch.com wrote:
>> Quoting Tim Oudin <timo at bolverk.net>:
>>
>> > Got a question about DNS, I'd be much appreciative if anyone could
>> lend
>> > some insight.
<snipped>

>> I do this currently, for similar reasons, and have been doing it for
>> awhile.
>> I've had no problems with this setup. It's a good way to handle the
>> scenario
>> you describe.
>>

> I do this too in a few places, and it works great.  I will add that if
> you're using bind 9, you can use the same dns server for both the
> private and the public dns using "views".  Views in bind 9 allow you to
> use different zone files depending on where the request is coming from
> (IP based).  Works really slick, I use it at home where I don't have the
> luxury of many dns servers.

I read some about views and it sounded pretty cool.  My assumption, based
upon the few paragraphs I've read on it, was that views wouldn't really
work for me since my public DNS server sits outside of my private network.
 From you statement that I can use different zone files based on IP it
sounds awesome (meaning I can spend less time messing with the windows
box!).

Many thanks, Dan!

--
timo