On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 smac at visi.com wrote:

> Would that be a <shameless plug> ;oD
>
> We don't have a lot of funds for this sort of thing. It's sort of a weird thing
> to sell something and require a subscription to a service to use it. I'm not
> much for this sort of marketting sort of like snake oil sellers.

Come on Sam, it runs Linux...you know you want it :)

They're doing it this way so they don't have to charge like $600 for the
unit, which far less people would be inclined to buy.  This is a business
model that many companies are trying to follow, not just Tivo.  King
Gillette pioneered it when he more or less gave away a razor and then sold
disposable blades at a considerable profit (ever get a Mach-3 in the mail
for free?  I get about 1 every six months).  The inkjet printer business
is the same, as is a lot of commercial software.  Heck, even sweet,
lovable Pez is running the same scam!

Even Redhat is an example - give away the product, and make your money on
recurring support costs.  Same with MySQL and recently even Snort has
implemented a fee-based subscription to it's rule base.

No one wants to sell a product anymore.  Everyone wants the recurring
revenue stream.  For shareholders, a subscriber is worth a lot more than a
single-unit purchase.

> I don't like TV myself I feel TV is a waste of time. I guess for a TV person
> research on the topic of the day would be no fun.

Maybe you'd change your mind if you watched some women's billiards? :)

So, want me to make an offer on that 40-hour unit?  I see new ones on Ebay
going from $35 - $55.