On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:44:47AM -0600, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> My wife won a Tivo that can record 40 hours of TV, my first reaction was
> "So who wants to watch TV".
> I like books, researching, and learning, without cable there is not much
> of anything worth staring at.
>
> I also found that I would have to sign up for a service that would cost
> $13 every month or $300 for a life time.
> LOLROF  I can't imagine why I would pay either price!

I am a long time TiVo owner and I, like Adam, suggest you give it
a try.

Maybe you'd like TiVo's Home Media Options.  I play my mp3s
through my TiVo to my stereo since my stereo is near my TV, not
my computer.  You can also look at your digital photos on your
TV, though I don't that often.  Also, there are add-ons that
allow you to check your email, web pages, local weather, movie
listings, etc. from your TV.  Take a look at
javahmo.sourceforge.net (or its beta-level successor
galleon.sourceforge.net) , which a leading third-party app for
TiVo.