> Also remember that the $300 "lifetime" subscription is only good for the
> life of the unit.  For this reason, I am currently on the $12.95/month
> plan until I figure out what I want to do long-term.

I purchased my TiVo back aroud 2001...and got the lifetime
subscription knowing that I would be using my TiVo for more than two
years.Thanks to TiVo, I still haven't purchased a VCR. Nearly 4 years
later my original TiVo is still doing just fine (after adding an extra
drive and network adapter, heh.)

Very easy to justify the lifetime subscription if you know you'll love
your TiVo and will use it for quite awhile. If you're not sure, you
can always do the lifetime subscription later. TiVo is worth every
penny I spent on it, and I spent alot of money on mine. TiVos were
expensive buggers back in 01. :)

@ Mike - The DirectTiVos are the least hackable TiVo models out there.
Good luck with that.