> Well that would be something. How would I go about changing the nvram
> if not through the provided web interface?

Hack the firmware. :) Apparently Belkin has released the source code for
once, though I haven't heard of anyone trying to build it yet.

I just got in contact with someone trying to hack the 8230 Pre-N
routers. They are very similar to the 7230 series. They apparently have
(sweet bejesus!) 64mb of flash and 128mb of ram. And only around 2mb of
that flash is used, which would make hacking it much easier...

Unlike the 7230 I'm hacking which has 2mb flash total, and the standard
firmware eats every last byte. No room to squeeze in your own stuff
without removing something else...

> roit....well I would do this actually, but (at least through the web
> interface) they will only allow a /24 (as the first 3 octets are
> provided for you based on the IP of the LAN address)

Doesn't really matter, as you'd just be using the routers as bridges
anyway. They just pass packets between the wireless and LAN at layer 2.

The IP and netmask the routers are using are only a concern for how to
get at them to administrate them. They can all be on their own /24,
separate from the public range.

> Well, the only problem is that I would not be able to block SMB ports
> from others on the same network without doing it at router
> itself.....and since the router will only take responsibility for the
> /24 it is on, I cannot reliably do that with this method.

That would be the weakness to this approach. But it seems like its the
best you can do with the standard firmware.