On Monday 21 March 2005 10:22, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Errr, isn't cat-3 what 10Base-T is supposed to run on? Sure the cards
> weren't trying to do 100mbit over it? Or maybe the distance was just too
> long?

I'm pretty sure that's why it _did_ work with old cards.  It has one big
splice (where a phone terminal was supposed to be) and maybe a foot of
non-twist, but the jackwork is good.  It barely passed when a tester was put
on it.  Had there not been a 90-degree turn in the system (put in in 1974), I
would have pulled cat5e through it.  I went with wireless, which was much
better.  At work we have some split jacks - but we're trying to phase those
out as quickly as possible.

--
-dave

Dave Carlson <dave at math.umn.edu>

Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, University of Minnesota
http://www.math.umn.edu

PGP/GPG Fingerprint:
C3D0 9962 1E98 B742 132D  0E1A CE11 7C4B 5309 97A7
(visit http://www.gnupg.org for more information)