Florin, what does fakeroot do for you?  Does that mean that you can
compile as a user?

I use this for a guide:
http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompile.php

Try to use the debian kernel sources if possible.  'apt-get install
kernel-source-2.6.8'

tar -jxvf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2 /usr/src
cd kernel-source-2.6.8
cp /boot/config-2.6.6 ./.config
make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version -1-686-via --config menuconfig
kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686-via*