On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 jonner.2530195 at bloglines.com wrote:

> --- Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu wrote:
>
>> I used to think that UNIX was defined by specifications of
>> functionality (and some money changing hands) not by the code inside.
>
> perhaps you were thinking of POSIX?

No, I was thinking of UNIX.  Side note: POSIX was named by RMS.

Now I see that I am correct about the definition of UNIX.  The information
is here:

   http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix.html

   As the owner of the UNIX trademark, The Open Group has separated the
   UNIX trademark from any actual code stream itself, thus allowing
   multiple implementations. Since the introduction of the Single UNIX
   Specification, there has been a single, open, consensus specification
   that defines the requirements for a conformant UNIX system.

The single UNIX specification is here:

http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/single_unix_specification.html

The reason for this approach:

   A programmer developing applications on an Single UNIX Specification
   system has at their disposal all of the functions, commands and
   utilities described in the Single UNIX Specification document set. This
   functional superset of consensus-based specifications and historical
   practice also creates a straightforward environment for porting existing
   applications running on UNIX systems.

   Products that implement Single UNIX Specification and qualify for the
   X/Open UNIX brand will compile and run applications built or ported
   according to this model.

So here is my question:

Which of the "functions, commands and utilities described in the Single
UNIX Specification document set" is not available under GNU/Linux?

(To those who are offended by it, I'm sorry for the "GNU/" in front of
Linux - but if Linux is the kernel, it probably offers none of the UNIX
functions/commands/utilities I'm asking about.)

Thanks in advance for any answers you can come up with.

The OpenGroup also seems to be managing the Linux Standards Base (LSB),
which seems to have a similar goal for Linux as the Single UNIX
specification has for UNIX.

Mike