On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:55:48PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Jim Crumley wrote:
>
> >ssh -   "ess ess aitch"   (spell it out)
> >vi  -   "vee eye"  or "vie"
> >Linux - "LIE nucks", though I am starting to say "lih nucks"
>
> LIH nuhks - a good American approximation.  Linus actually pronounces it
> a bit more like LEE nooks, but he has an accent!  ;-)

Part of the reason that I don't buy "lih nucks" is that Linus
does have an accent in the classic recording of him saying Linux.

> LIE nucks, though accepted, is not really correct.

I realize that its not the accepted version and I am trying to
convert myself to the more accepted version.  The argument (which
I know has been lost by this point) is that Linux is based on
Linus which in English is pronounced "LIE nus", so the
pronunciation should be "LIE nucks".  Following the English
pronunciation seems to be the typcial method for pronouncing
words in English that are based on names.  Einsteinium is
pronounced in Engish the way that Einstein is pronounced in
English, not the way Einstein is pronounced in German.