On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:31:14PM -0600, Dave Carlson wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 20:03, Mike Miller wrote:
> > I really want to hear from the people who say they run Linux without GNU -
> > where do you get the programs to replace ls, cp, mv, rm, mkdir, etc.?
> > What do you use instead?
>
> For starters, you can run busybox.  Busybox does:

[snip]

> so, _theoretically_ you could compile the linux kernel, uClibc, and busybox.
> You'd have a GNU-less system (although the build system would still have
> GNU).  However, you don't have support for anything 'fancy' like a graphical
> system, general linux-binary compatibility, fancy threads, etc.  You could
> have just installed BSD if you were that sour about GNU :) (* runs back in
> panic room *)

http://www.busybox.net/about.html says
   BusyBox is maintained by Erik Andersen, and licensed under the GNU
   GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE

So not GNU (on the surface, it might contain GNU code), but at least
influenced by GNU.

> --
> -dave
>
> Dave Carlson <dave at math.umn.edu>

Let's stop here. Please.

florin

--

Don't question authority: they don't know either!