On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:59:37PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
>
> It is a public relations problem that would be lessened if you would call
> Linux "GNU/Linux" instead of simply "Linux."

Not really, to resolve the public relations problem we would have to call
it Apache/SSH/(Sendmail|Postfix|DJB)/(MySQL|PostgreSQL)/(RedHat|SuSE|Debian|Slackware|Gentoo|Peanut|...)/BSD/GNU/Linux

I'm sure I missed a few.

> The only reason Linux did anything useful was because of GNU software.
> That might be different today, but not much different.

Really? I run many Linux systems without a single piece of GNU
software. It's certainly not a requirement, and never has been.

Simply calling it GNU/Linux excludes the many other contributors who have
been just as responsible for the popularity of Linux. All or none.