Hey everybody,

I'm hoping someone has some advice for me here. We've got a server at work
that kernel paniced and isn't coming back up cleanly. It's running Debian
and acts as our trouble ticketing system (ironic?) and some other assorted
services. I think the kernel panic came because some went back with
PostgreSQL, but it's not clear yet.

On rebooting we got something like this:

Activating swap.
Checking root file system...
./rcS: line 243:   328 Segmentation fault       fsck $spinner $force $fix -t
$roottype $rootdev

Fsck failed. Please repaid manually and reboot.  Please note that the root
file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write:

   # mount -n -o remount,rw /

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and REBOOT the system.

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

Now I've seen something like this screen before. We entered the root
password and manually fscked the partitions. They all come back clean now.
I'm puzzled by the segfault with rcS. There is no line 243 in that file. I
assume the actual problem is one of the initscripts that get called by rcS.
I'm also seeing weirdness with the mount command. I am manually mounting
some partitions, but they're not showing up when I run 'mount'. I know that
they're mounted because I can traverse the directories.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I don't want to sound too panicked, but
this is a pretty critical system for us and I need to get it back up ASAP.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson
Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA