You could call the same program using different names, one name when
run from cron, anothe r when run interactively.  Put a test in the
program to check which name is was invoked as and take action
accordingly.   Here's a snippet:

#!/usr/bin/perl

if ( $0 eq "xx" ) {
        print "program called from cron\n";
} else {
        print "program run manually\n";
}

Call the program as "xx" from the crontab entry.  "xx" can be a
symlink to the real program name.

Scot