On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:13:51 -0600, Wyl Newland <wylnewland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:39:56 -0600, slushpupie at gmail.com
> <slushpupie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Beware though, every lookup will generate an ldap query.
>
> Because mail accounts change infrequently, why not generate postfix
> (non-LDAP) validation tables from LDAP.  This could certainly be done
> by a cron job.  Perhaps on-the-fly updates to postfix tables can be
> done whenever the LDAP database records (under LDAP's mail schema) are
> modified.

Postfix is in want of a lookup table or a list (depends on the entry).
 It was made generic enough to support a plugin-like interface to
allow people to do what they want. To postfix, ldap is the same as
mysql, postgresql, or whatever (well, mostly)

In the case of ldap, I expect the ldap database to be as correct as it
can be all the time.  So of course I want the mail server to see the
same data.  So I created an ldap slave on the mail server that only
the mail server uses.  Since all updates to the ldap master get
replicated, no one else will notice the extra load. Sure, it could be
possible write a perl script that dumps the data out of ldap into a
hash and run it from a cron job.  It just leaves the possibility of
the data being out of sync at some point.

Jay

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/