I'll take a slower 2-processor system over a faster single CPU any day.
Having two processors lets you maintain a reasonably responsive system
even if you're running something CPU intensive. Plus a lot of what we
take as normal everyday processing is becoming very CPU intensive, like
ripping CDs, digital image processing, video editing, etc. So even if
you run Gimp as a single thread rather than Photoshop with multiple
threads you still get a benefit from the second processor.

--rick