On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 07:38:50AM -0600, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> Dan you hit it on the head, I didn't know how much business class
> cable was (WOW)!  I pay about $55 a month for Qwest and ISP with 2 IP
> addresses. I pay yearly so I get a small break on the monthly that
> covers the second IP address ;-) DSL requires 1 IP for the modem and 1
> IP for the router if you want to host a website, email, etc..  I do
> port forwarding so I could and have done a lot of tricky port stuff.

There is actually a way around that IP problem.  Basically, you set up
an internal network between your router and modem.  You set your public
IP on your router.  The thing is, your ISP is going to throw all the
packets for your IP at your modem regardless which IP address your modem
has.  So all you have to do is set a route in your modem (this probably
requires a cisco modem) for your public IP to your router over the
internal network.  Here:

Internet -> Modem (192.168.0.1) -> Router (public IP, aliased
192.168.0.2 - this might also require a real router :) )

Then on the modem add a route for your public IP to 192.168.0.2.

I posted my cisco 678 config to do just that here:
http://therub.org/wiki/index.php/DSL

Dan