On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 09:28, Chris Frederick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a mythtv box in my living room now, and I love it.  Except that
> some of the dvd movies that I rip tend to have very loud volumes mixed
> with very soft speaking. [...]

What sort of a speaker setup do you have?  Stereo?  Surround?  5.1?  I
haven't used the MythTV DVD program, but it might be possible to
"downmix" the audio to stereo if you need it.  If you take a 5.1-channel
audio stream and only play the front-left and front-right tracks, the
talking will be very soft because it is supposed to be sent through the
center channel.

I generally use MPlayer for watching movies, and added the line

  channels=2

to my ~/.mplayer/config file, which is supposed to make it downmix audio
to two channels by adding sound from the "missing" speakers to the ones
that actually exist.  There might be a similar setup option for
MythDVD.  Also, some DVDs have both stereo and 5.1 audio tracks, so you
should just use the stereo one if you just have two speakers.

--
[ Michael Hicks | hick0088 at tc.umn.edu | Minneapolis ]