What does your speaker setup look like. I've had similar problem when
either the center speaker was grossly mismatched with the front L-R
speakers or where the center channel volume was set too low relative to
the L-R speakers. In the latter case simply bumping the center channel
up by 1db on my amp brought everything into line - at least to my
untrained ears.

--rick