Adam Maloney wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Josh Welch wrote:
>
>> So I'm trying to cut over a network from one provider to another. This
>> also means cutting over from one chunk of IP's to another because we
>> don't have our own allocation. I was hoping I could do something cute
>> like putting in a second NIC, assigning that nic an IP on the new
>> network and that host would anser requests from both networks during the
>> cutover, packets which come in on eth0 go out on eth0, packets which
>> come in on eth1 go out eth1. Sounds simple, eh?
>

> What is this host doing, firewall or NAT, or just a router?

It's a webserver. I don't want it doing any forwarding, I just want
requests coming in eth1 to be answered on eth1. Unfortunately I am
severely limited in my ability to perform stupid routing tricks due to
my environment.

>> This does not, however, seem to be the case. It seems to want to pick
>> one interface and use that for outgoing traffic. Is this the way it
>> should be? Can I convince it to behave like I want it to?
>

> It's probably sending out using whatever interface has the default
> route. By far the easiest way to switch over is to just change your
> default to the gateway IP of the new provider, and have all traffic go
> out that connection.  You'll still get traffic coming in through your
> old provider, you'll just be sending ALL outgoing packets back out the
> other direction. This will work as long as your new provider isn't doing
> anti-spoofing filtering for outbound traffic (many, unfortunately, do not).

Someone mentioned offlist using the ip command to do what I want, I'll
give that a try.

Josh