> From: Jay J <jay-tclug at 3pound.com>
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:50:23 -0500 (CDT)
> "Chris Schumann" <cschumann at twp-llc.com> wrote:
>
>> Hardware: IBM ThinkPad 750P, 36MB RAM, 12GB HD. LinkSys PCMPC200 wired
>> 16-bit 100Mbps PC Card. No CD drive.
>> Any tips on getting either working are greatly appreciated. More
>> points for getting XFree86 3.3.6 running, as it's the last version
>> with the svga driver for the WD90C24 video chip.
>
> Oops. I forgot to mention:
>
> As ancient as the 760L ThinkPad is, I was surprised to find it could
> boot from PC Card. (Your 750P seems more recent than the 760L,
> presumably it too could do this)
>
> So, more correctly, I booted the netinst image on the Compact Flash in
> the PC Card adapter.
>
> -Jay

Thanks for the information, but the 750 is older. It has a 33MHz 80486
CPU. Its boot options are hard disk, floppy and network(!) but I don't
have a net-bootable PC Card NIC for it.

Thing is, I have done this before, but I didn't document it, so I want to
remember or document it this time (www.thinkwiki.org), and I seem to be
having more problems this time. I also want it to be useful for others
with this hardware, so I would like to avoid requiring hardware like a CF
adapter (which I happen to have).

The floppies are nearly new, and I've tried several, and they work in
other machines, so that's not it. I only need three (Debian) or four
(Slackware) floppies before I can install over the network.

In Slackware, I think the issue is that heavy use of the NIC when file
transfers start just make it go unstable. I've tried the idebus=33
parameter, but that doesn't seem to help. Any other tips for kernel
parameters would be awesome.

In Debian, I really think it ignores my parameters. After discovering the
floppy controller, Slackware says something like "Setting flag 0x01" (I
think from "floppy=thinkpad"), but Debian doesn't. Also, Debian seems to
ignore my "nopci nousb" flags too, and looks for that hardware. Any tips
on getting debian to use the parameters I type would be nice.

My other option is to run DOS or Windows to copy the CD's over the network
onto a FAT partition and install from there. I didn't need that last time
and would like to avoid it again, to keep that room free.

Thanks,
Chris