On 7/16/05, Kevin Lombardo <kevin.lombardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I guess I'll probably try to get an IDE and scrap the RAID, but I
> would like to know: why does the NT/W2K boot loader boot off the array
> just fine?

alright, this has turned in to a weird story...

first of all, this machine was originally configured with an IDE drive
and a SATA RAID. Windows XP was installed on the IDE drive and nothing
on the array. i booted off the FC4 disc and installed to the array.
when it asked where i should install grub, i selected the MBR, which
is on the IDE drive. upon reboot, grub locked up without even
presenting the menu.

so then, to simplify, i removed the IDE drive and reinstalled again to
the array, and selected to install grub on MBR, which would now be on
the array. again, grub locked up.

i tried installing grub on a floppy, and was able to get in to a grub
command shell, but then when trying to list the drives it did not
display the array.

then i tried asking TCLUG. i really appreciate the replies, and was
considering what to do, although i still didn't get why grub wouldn't
see the SATA drives. i mean, the BIOS sees the drives and actually
presents them as a boot option. grub wasn't even getting to the menu.
(btw, i did try this without the drives in an array, just left them as
single drives with the same results)

i thought the best thing to do was resize the NTFS partition and
install FC4 to the IDE drive (i need to keep the XP install for work
purposes). however, i wanted to fix my MBR first so that XP would boot
(i was able to get in to XP with a boot disk). i restarted the
computer with the XP bootable cd, and got a phone call as the machine
was restarting, so i didn't have a chance to "press any key to boot
from cd". i was talking on the phone and turned around to look at the
screen and guess what? FC4 was booted. i restarted the computer again,
and grub loaded no problem and booted right in to the install located
on the array.

i'm not a newbie, and i know i didn't run anything to change the MBR -
it should have been the same as it was when i was having problems. but
all of the sudden, everything works just like i thought it should in
the beginning. now i just have to try to get grub to boot XP.

anyway, things seem to be working great now. hopefully they'll stay
that way. thanks for the help.