I would think its because Promise made the driver work with windows
since they would lose alot more market share if they did not.  Also
you should be able to make the promise raid controller act like a
regular controller(w/o raid) and then you should be able to boot off
of the disks, rather than getting a IDE drive.  Also check google some
more, it has been a while since I did anything with promise raid(1
year+), maybe things have changed.

-ryan