On Wednesday 13 July 2005 11:45 am, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I was running the 675 in bridge mode, and now the GT701 in router mode.
>
> Accessing my web server works fine from the outside, because I have port
> forwarding set up.  It's just that from the inside, the GT701 seems to
> answer the get instead for forwarding it to the server.
>
> I can understand the GT701 responding to a get on 192.168.0.1 on port 80,
> but I'm sending the get to my static IP address (209.240.253.215).

Yes. That is the difference between bridged mode and router/ppp mode and has
nothing to do with the hardware brand. The Actiontecs support bridged mode as
well, at which point it is up to your ISP to support/configure your account
for bridge or router/ppp mode.

With a bridge mode your actiontec/cisco/whatever acts basically like a 2 port
hub (bridge) converting your ATM DSL WAN traffic into ethernet LAN traffic
and thus does not have or at least does not need an IP address for normal
operation and your static IP address was configured on your server.