I think you can do some drive mapping via WebDAV as well, though I
can't remember how. I don't think I have the client installed on my
windows box. You really don't want samba server directly accessable
via the internet, so a VPN solution is needed. However, windows file
sharing over a slow connection is usually dodgy. If you're not sitting
on the same network, I wouldn't bother. :)

SFTP and SNFS have clients that allow drive mapping using SSH, and
speed wise these are slightly better, but not by an incredible amount.

> When given the choice between a Linux server and a Windows server there
> are few times I could imagine choosing the Windows server.

Oh there are plenty of times in the real business world were you will
opt for Windows over Linux. ;-)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it