From: Justin Krejci [mailto:jus at krytosvirus.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:28 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Cc: Wayne Johnson
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Actiontec modem and accessing your web page

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 10:08 pm, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I recently upgraded my DSL to the new 1.5Mb service from Qwest.  It
> required me to upgrade the modem to the Actiontec.  Not sure I like it.
>
> First off, whenever I tried to run bittorrent to download the latest FC4
> test image, it would lock up the modem after an hour or so.  Turns out I
> need to manually set some of the netfilter parameters to limit the amount
> of memory the net table will eat up.  See
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13388402?hilite=actiontec+telnet
>
> Anyone know a way to make this permement?
>
> The other problem I have, is I have a web server.  I have port forwarding
> set up to forward external connections on port 80 to my server.  But if I
> try to access the web page via my static IP address from inside, I get the
> *^%(&^$ actiontec setup menu.  Anyone know how to disable this short of
> disabling the actiontec web server?  Can I do modem configuration via
> telnet?
>
> Thanks in Advance.

What model Actiontec do you have? Is it a the beige 152x model or the dark
gray gt701 model? In either case you should be able to telnet into the
router
from the inside but you may need to set up an administrator password via the
web first.

What router did you use before this one? Also, via the general concepts of
NAT/PAT you should not be able to use your external IP address to get to
anything internally behind the router doing NAT/PAT. There are
configurations
you can make to override this behavior of course.