I have several systems running Debian sarge.  All were upgrades from
woody.  On just one system, when I ssh in and run screen(1), $TERM
gets set to screen.linux instead of just "screen" like it does on the
other systems.  This hoses things when I ssh to remote systems from
the host with the bad TERM variable.  The remote hosts don't know what
to do with TERM=screen.linux.

All systems have the same version of the Debian screen pkg and
/etc/screenrc is identical on all systems.  I even tried purging and
re-installing screen on the broken host.  I've also tried running with
no $HOME/.screenrc and with a $HOME/.screenrc from one of the other
"non-broken" Debian systems.  In all cases, TERM is still set to
"screen.linux" by this one host.

Any ideas what else to look for?

thanks,
scot