After years of using mostly Mandrake, I have finally decided to make the
jump to Debian. I am actually using Ubuntu (Kubuntu) at the moment - I
thought it would make for an easier transition.

I am trying to install packages and some of them fail with MD5 errors,
example:

Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/p/pango1.0/libpango1.0-0_1.8.1-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
  MD5Sum mismatch

I was trying to download synaptic. What should I do at this point? Is
there a way around this problem?

General questions:
-How can I see what files a package contains?
-How do I determine what package I need for a particular program? I want
to get ncftpget but I don't know the package it comes in.

Thanks. I know I have a lot of reading to do...

Patrick McCabe