Whoa!

Good afternoon!

I realize the "wire speed" of those interfaces makes that theorhetically
possible....
HOWEVER!

When you say you see those numbers EVERY DAY on a real network, I have to
ask.
No,
Really.

HOW do you see those numbers?
What kind of file transport are you doing?
How large are your transports.

What protocol are you using?

If you're really pushing 120 MegaBYTES per second across glass gigabit
ethernet, there's very little reason in the industry to have Fibre Channel
SANs.

And, if you are, I'll happily study at the feet of the master.

Doing all kinds of file transfers, I normally see the numbers I priorly
quoted...EVERY DAY.

I often use iometer to benchtest my numbers (runs on Linux AND Windows and
SPARC) so I can standardize my testing model.
<shrug>

My understand of encryption was that it ends up using padded bits and ate up
a fair amount of overhead AND bandwidth.
I'll happily read anything you put before me to correct my understandings.

Ted Letofsky
Linux newbie, and apparent clueless network user <grin>