Hi Randy

The WIRE speed of a 10bT NIC is approximately 1 MB / Second
The WIRE speed of a 100bT NIC is approximately 10 MB / Second
The WIRE speed of a 1000bT NIC is approximately 100 MB / Second

In reality, you can get all of 1MB / Second in 10bT
You can get, (IF YOU PUSH HARD) about 6.5MB /Second in 100bT
You can get, (IF YOU PUSH REALLY HARD) about 37 MB Second in 1000bT.

You can change some of that by changing your packet size some.
If, however, you go to JUMBO FRAMES you can essentially double your
bandwidth in 1000bT.
One caveat.  If you go to JUMBO frames (packets), the interface you set for
them, won't see/hear any other interface NOT speaking with the same size
frame.
Thus, if you switch to JUMBO frames, you may lose regular network
connectivity (unless, of course, you use one NIC for backups/etc, and one
for other purposes)

Much of the loss in performance as you scale is based on the fact that the
operating system is involved in packet assembly and disassembly.
This is why TCP/IP Offload Engines are becoming popular in NICS (aka TOE
cards)
See Alacritech and Intel and Adaptec for further details.

Also, as is obvious, you're likely going to get WAY better performance
across NFS or (god help you) SAMBA, than you will over SSH, due to
encryption taking up lots of bandwidth.

Ted Letofsky
Linux Newbie
Otherwise geek.