On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, John Meier wrote:

> Ok - I got a buddy who wants to limit his daughters online time ... in
> his words:
>
> "...I want to limit im time, see all im messages to and from, see all
> emails, and see all websites visited

I didn't want to steal your thread so I made a new one.

I have a son who is almost 13 years old.  I'm wondering if it would be
wise to monitor what he does.  I'm not sure what the arguments are about
this, but I'd guess it's something like "pedophiles trick children into
meeting them, then they kill or abuse the kids" versus "even children
should have their privacy."  Are there more angles to this debate?

My feeling, right now, is that kids want to be able to communicate openly
with friends and do things that are not allowed by parents.  They need to
do *some* things that parents don't allow, don't they?  Our parents didn't
monitor our phone calls, right?  What are the chances that unmonitored
computer use will cause serious damage to a teenager?

Obviously, the internet is loaded with porn and it isn't hard for kids to
find it, if that's what they want.  The stuff I could get at when I was a
kid was much more tame (e.g., Playboy, Penthouse or sometimes Hustler).
Still, does the porn harm the child?  We might think it is wrong, but I
have to wonder how badly kids are affected by it.

We all want to guide our kids - lead them into happy productive lives and
we would feel badly if they took a wrong turn and we did nothing.  On the
other hand, we know that if we push too hard we can get resistance that
harms them even more.  Where to draw the line?

I'm sorry if this will turn into a massive unending argument.  That's not
what I want.  I'd rather be directed to some good resources, or maybe you
can reply with brief thoughts on this either on- or off-list.

Best,

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.